One of 2 standing barracks. In 1965, the camp stood in ruin and all 30 of the barracks were in a state of disrepair that they could not be saved. The above barracks and one other was built from serviceable parts of the other 28 which were then demolished.
At first, each barracks was built to hold 208 prisoners. By wars end, 1600 were crammed in the same amount of space.
The main street between the now demolished 28 barracks. The path was called the Appellplatz and the prisoners were forced to parade down the path for roll call. If a prisoner escaped, the entire population was forced to stand in formation for the entire night and half the next day without rations.
Entrance Bunker Barracks Fence Showers Crematorium Monuments
Map of Dachau Ol' Army Joel's Main Page